Have you ever considered a career in Data Science? Reuben Sodhi, Data Scientist at Frame, gives us the low down on his career so far, and shares his helpful advice on how to secure a job in this exciting industry!
Rueben Sodhi, Data Scientist
What advice would you give to someone wanting to break into Data Science?
One thing you can do that I believe has as much, or even more, importance than getting a university degree is completing some Data Science projects in your spare time and saving these projects in your own public GitHub repository. This means that anyone who has a link to your repo can get hands-on with code you have written and see the results it has produced. Choosing an area of interest that suits you and working on a project based in this area is also a really good way to develop a deeper understanding of Data Science while working on something that you enjoy. It can be difficult to think of a project from scratch so I would also suggest having a look on Kaggle or YouTube if you're stuck for project ideas. Completing your own projects in your spare time is one of the best ways to show employers that you are enthusiastic about this subject and motivated to pursue a career in Data Science.
What are your top 5 Tips for thriving in a Data Science role:
To wrap things up here are my top five tips for succeeding in a Data Science role:
- Keep learning: because this is such a rapidly developing industry there will always be something new to learn, so stay inquisitive!
- Don’t be intimidated by difficult projects: quite often, I’ve had to work on projects that seem daunting and complicated at first, but these are normally the ones where I learn the most and look back on with a sense of accomplishment
- More complicated does not always mean better: although complex machine learning tools are often the answer, sometimes a simple approach will do the trick, and you will save yourself a lot of time and effort by choosing a more simple tool
- Develop good interpersonal skills: this might not appear to go hand in hand with Data Science, but being able to effectively communicate your work with others, whether that be a colleague or a stakeholder, is an invaluable skill
- Attend technology networking events: attending networking events and meetups will expose you to interesting and talented people outside of your normal circle and help you develop into a well-rounded professional
Thank you for taking the time to read about my experiences working as a Data Scientist and I wish any aspiring Data Scientists the best of luck.
Thank you Reuben! If you're interested in a Data Science role, check out all of our tech and analytics opportunities today!
Take a look at all of our live jobs!
Check out our latest opportunities in:
You can also read our latest blogs on industry news and advice.