Are you looking for a job in digital marketing? Wondered what mistakes people have made previously that you want to avoid? Maybe it is your first step into the sector or you are taking a step up the career ladder on your way to being the next agency head or marketing director? Take this advice on board from us; it may just help you get there a little easier than some. Most of these are from experience across our team at interviews or pre-screening with candidates! Enjoy!
- Just don't turn up not having an up to date social media presence including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (especially for creative) AND LinkedIn Account! You're entering the world of digital; just make sure you're actually involved in it, not stuck in the 90's!
- Still describing PPC marketing as paperclips. Asking "What's all this Google paperclip strategy about?" will get you to one place - the front door, fast.
- Having a bizarrely named email account which is the one you set up at college and having it at the top of your CV in the interview won't help your maturing status. [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] won't impress many.
- Speaking to the interviewee like they are one of your mates and dressing like you're about to hang out at the local diner isn't great either. Be confident, drop the street speak, don't chew gum and definitely don't turn up without a suit on (ever).
- Always let your personality come out, but in little bits and at the right time. You may be the alpha male or leader of the gang, but we all have to start somewhere. Grilling the interviewee on their career progression and recommending how they should progress means no job.
- A ringing phone, twitter alert from Skysports.com, text message from your mum wishing you good luck or a Facebook alert won't go down that well.
- Never be late. Just pretend the interview is an hour earlier than it is and get a coffee. But not a beer, no alcohol before the interview or you'll just make the interviewer jealous.
- BO, damp clothes, previously damp clothes, ripped clothes, no clothes, oversized clothes, a tie that you wouldn't wear in a blackout, a beard that hasn't quite grown enough, makeup in the wrong facial parts and a stare that would burn holes are all big no no's.
- Winking. Never do it.
- Sitting down before the interviewers have sat down, assess and make your own call.
For interview help and advice contact us and we'll gladly go through things with you. We accept queries from clients and candidates alike. Just pick up the phone - 0161 833 1044. Good luck Y'all.
Are you ready to start the job hunt? Check out our latest Marketing, Digital and Creative jobs here.
Check out other useful hints and tips for your job search here.