Tom Fitton is a marketing contractor and like the rest of us is adjusting to life in the Coronavirus Crisis. Read what he has to say here about contracting in the current climate and his tips for contracting in his sector.
What are the pitfalls to avoid?
Speaking as an advertiser; only taking on work for companies with products or services that you believe in and agree with is important to me. If you think someone is trying to flog a dead horse, or are doing something that does not sit comfortably with you, long-term that's not an account you are going to be motivated to work on.
Top 5 tips on being a great contractor in your sector?
- Reach out to companies you really like and introduce yourself, if you are genuine and show them you know their product / industry, they will often be interested in speaking to you.
- Don't be scared of failure; trying new techniques/approaches and being open about it with clients about is a healthy way for you both to learn about what doesn't work... and most importantly what does.
- Don't take on more work than you can manage.
- Stay on top of industry developments and adapt as you see the advertising landscape changing.
- Make lots of friends and always do the right thing, referral is where a lot of your business will come from.
Thanks for sharing this with us Tom!