With the help of our Senior Marketing Recruitment Consultant Meg Hughes, Nathan was able to secure his role as a Marketing Executive at Centreco. He talks about his experience with The Candidate, and shares some advice for those looking to find a job in the Digital Marketing industry!
Nathan Keogh, Marketing Executive at Centreco
Do's and Don't of securing a new role in Digital Marketing
If I had to give anyone some tips as to how to secure a new role in digital marketing, it would be…
- Do your homework – Put together an extensive portfolio of all your previous work, be it images, blog posts, press releases, social media posts, photographs… the list goes on but you get the idea. Anyone can claim to be an expert on Wordpress, but if you can show someone that webpage you designed from start to finish, or that social media post that went viral – that speaks volumes. And if you don’t have much or any experience to put into a portfolio? Put together some ‘mock’ content for any company out there and show them what you are capable of!
- Do your research – When you’re at an interview and you can quote to the potential employer the content on their website and how you would make it better, watch their face drop. Trust me, that’s what I did!
- Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there – To secure a role and to be successful in digital marketing, you must be able to market a company, and if you are too nervous to even ‘market’ yourself and put yourself out there, then how are you going to be able to successfully market a company?
- Don’t get put off by getting no reply from an employer – We’ve all been there, you put together an amazing CV, extensive portfolio and in your opinion a pretty decent covering letter… and then the days turn into weeks, and then you get no reply from that dream job that you put all that time and effort into applying to. It’s going to happen when you apply through websites such as Indeed, Hired.com, Reed etc etc, and there’s nothing you can do about. Well, I say nothing… If you go through a recruitment agency such as The Candidate, they will do all of the chasing and leg work for you. They will find you opportunities you didn’t even know were out there, and even if you aren’t successful in a particular application, before you know it, you’re being sent an even better opportunity with feedback as to how you can be even better for the next application or interview.
- Every day is a learning day – The key to being successful in digital marketing is that you have to be constantly keeping up with the latest trends, be it social media algorithm changes or even the latest social media platform to pop up out of nowhere. Therefore, to secure a role and not only that, but to be successful in that role, you have to be constantly evolving and learning the best ways of doing things. So, surround yourself with knowledge, be that books, blog posts, podcasts or simply, just use as many social media platforms as you can, watch all the YouTube tutorials you can and be open to as many opinions as possible.
Thank you for your insight Nathan! If you're looking for a new marketing role, get in touch with Meg today...
Senior Marketing Recruitment Consultant, Meg Hughes, placed Nathan in this role and is so pleased he was happy with the recruitment process. If you're looking for a new job in marketing, get in touch with Meg today! Call 0161 833 1044 or email [email protected]
If you enjoyed this article and want to take the next step in your marketing career, why not take a look at our marketing roles here.
Read our latest news here.
Check out our digital jobs here.
Check out all our job opportunities in Technology here!
Fancy a new analytics challenge? Click here!
If you're looking for a new role, get in touch with us today!
If you would like to feature on our blog, get in touch!
To get the very latest jobs, news and blogs follow The Candidate on Linkedin here!